Saturday 21 September 2013

Wanting to leave a cinema screen is not a normal occurrence for me, but this film drove me to distraction. Scott Gentry reviews the car crash that is, "R.I.P.D".

"R.I.P.D" (12A)
Directed by: Robert Schwentke.
Starring: Jeff Bridges, Ryan Reynolds, Kevin Bacon and Mary-Louis Parker.
Rated: 12A, for containing moderate fantasy violence and threat, with uses of moderate bad language.
Running time: 96 minutes.
Out now in UK cinemas.

Plot synopsis
After stealing some gold during a drug bust, policeman Nick Walker (Ryan Reynolds) makes the difficult decision to return the gold which is evidence, to the police department. However, his partner Hayes (Kevin Bacon) has other ideas and shoots Nick during a raid on a warehouse. Following his death, Nick's spirit drifts into the sky and arrives in the office of the R.I.P.D (Rest in peace department). Once there, Nick is recruited to capture wandering spirits or face judgement. On accepting, Nick is partnered with Roy (Jeff Bridges) an 18th century Marshall with a disturbing obsession with hats.

From the first five minutes, it was clear that "R.I.P.D" was an absolute piece of codswallop. The 3D effects were shoddy, there was terrible acting from both leads and even the action was dull.

You may be saying to yourself, the film can't be that bad surely? Well, it was. "R.I.P.D" is every film critic's nightmare.

I'm going to be honest, I really wanted to like "R.I.P.D" but Hollywood has gone a step too far. The script was terrible, containing a straight copy-cat role from "True Grit" for Jeff Bridges and the casual one note performance style for Reynolds. Kevin Bacon (who is usually very good) delivered possibly the worst performance of his life, acting lifelessly at every possible moment.


Having viewed "R.I.P.D" in 3D (why, oh why!?) there were no 3D effects whatsoever. Not even one creature jumped out from the screen. With most films including (decent-ish) 3D effects, you expect (at the very least) a few effects from a 3D film. The CGI was especially shoddy, boasting large set pieces and never delivering on quality.

Honestly, "R.I.P.D" has an interesting story, but (in my opinion) was never intended for a big-screen debut. It shares so many similarities with the "Men In Black" franchise, that it's hard not to recognize them. Really, it should have been left alone. 

Verdict
 Disgraceful CGI, 3D and unlikable characters, this really is evidence that not even the great Jeff Bridges couldn't save "R.I.P.D". A movie car pile up, of epic proportions.

0 stars out of 10





























No comments:

Post a Comment