Saturday 23 November 2013

A lot more Dystopia, a lot less Teen Fiction: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

(Sorry about the disproportionate amount of colons in the title)

Written by Jon Petre

Well well well, here we are again. Visiting the 2010's favorite Dystopian Science Fiction Movie series. It's been an interesting ride, Katniss.

When I first saw The Hunger Games, I was entertained. I liked the movie, and my friend told me that the books were good as well. However when I looked back at it I thought that, in actuality, the movie was quite bland; the Dystopian Autocracy Oppressive Technocracy seemed superfluous and secondary to the love triangle of Katniss and co.  

Now I see how wrong I was.

Without a doubt, Catching Fire was much better than Hunger Games. There was a lot more emphasis on the giant death government, and a greater sense of meaning to the whole film. In fact, the actual 75th Hunger Games doesn't even start until about halfway through the film (it's actually the 3rd Quarter Quell, but never mind *flicks hair affectionately*); before that it's all Dystopia and Revolutions.

I love Dystopia and Revolutions.

I actually felt affection for some of the characters! Which is interesting--often in movies, do you find that you really don't care about the characters?--well this time, I guarantee you'll go "pwahhh" (this is the sound of someone sucking air in through their teeth) at a painful scene. 

But now, I have to follow my tradition of giving you the setup.

One year on from their "victory" at the 74th Hunger Games, life is marginally better for Katniss and her family. They live in the Victor Village of District 12, but Peeta and Katniss have become estranged. Things are getting serious though; remember at the end of the first movie when Katniss raised her hand up and sort of ate the berries? Well, people are seriously misconstruing this--a revolution is brewing.

The Captiol's getting a tight collar, and with the Quarter Quell coming up (every 25 years, they hold a special massive Hunger Games that reaps its tributes from former victors; everyone in the Games has won before) things are about to go down.

I can't say a lot more without spoiling things; just go and see it. I promise you'll most likely enjoy it. My only problem came from the extreme length (like, three hours or so?) and the fact that Jennifer Lawrence was fairly placid as Katniss--slightly reminiscent of Kristen Stewart; I sincerely hope I'm wrong--but oh well. It worked quite well. 

All in all, I'd say four stars out of five. ( 4/5)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment