Saturday 31 August 2013

Fake families, drug filled RV's and testicle biting tarantulas, it really does sound like the start of a bad joke. Scott Gentry reviews "We're The Millers",

"We're The Millers" (15)
Director: Rawson Marshall Thurber.
Starring: Jason Sudeikis, Jennifer Aniston, Emma Roberts and Will Poulter.
Running Time: 110 minutes.
Rated: 15, for containing strong language, references to sex and drugs.
Out now in UK cinemas.


David Clark (Jason Sudeikis) has been drug dealing as long as he can remember. Selling to mothers, chefs and just about anyone, David is everyone's preferred drug dealer. On returning from his daily activities, he is robbed and of his money and drug stash, which he partly owes to his supplier and drug-lord Brad Gurdlinger (Ed Helms). 
To redeem himself, David is forced to smuggle marijuana from Mexico and back into the United States. 

Realising, that men of his style seem suspicious to federal agents, he decides to hire a stripper named Rose (Jennifer Aniston), his neighbor named Kenny (Will Poulter) and a teenage runaway called Casey (Emma Roberts); to act as his fake family, the Millers.

This may come to you as a surprise dear readers, but I actually enjoyed "We're The Millers" to quite an extent. Have I gone mad? No. It simply is a brilliant comedy.


On the pretence that "We're The Millers" was a complete failure, I was adamant to pass my own judgement on the film as soon as possible. Dragging my (only available) friend Sam along to this packed out screening, I really wasn't expecting anything special from this star studded comedy. 




Instead, I laughed so regularly, my belly began to ache. The film continues to throw as many jokes as humanly possible into the mix, some being vulgar and others perfectly clean.

It's been a long time since a comedy has really surprised me and I had begun to lose faith in certain parts of Hollywood. Now my faith has (slightly) been restored, and I am beginning to trust the summer blockbusters, to a degree.


The acting from all the cast is a joy to watch. They all deal with comedy in such a way that includes perfect timing and style, which is perfect for their characters.

Verdict


"We're The Millers" is the fresh spin on the comedy genre that I have been waiting for. All summer long I have had to contend with disgraceful offerings like "Grown Ups 2" and "The Smurfs 2", but towards the end of the summer; I have been rewarded. It may not be outstanding, but it sure is satisfying. 

7 stars out of 10.

Written by Scott Gentry.

Rating key
1-2 stars out of ten = Awful.
3-4 stars out of ten = Average.
5-6 stars out of ten = Good.
7-8 stars out of ten = Excellent.
9-10 stars out of ten = Amazing.








No comments:

Post a Comment