Saturday 2 February 2013

Who would believe OAP`s could be so much fun? Scott Gentry reviews Dustin Hoffman`s long awaited Directorial debut, "Quartet".

"Quartet" (12)
Director: Dustin Hoffman.
Starring: Maggie Smith, Billy Connoly and Tom Courtenay.
Rated: 12, for containing strong language.
Running time: 94 minutes.
Out now on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Deep in the heart of the English countryside, there is a retirement home named Beecham House, homed to some of the most talented musicians of our age. Every year a concert is held to celebrate the birthday of Giuseppe Verdi (a famous composer). But when the eternal diva Jean Horton (Maggie Smith) arrives, she begins to disrupt the peace and tranquility of the home and even pulls out of the concert. Can her old friends change her mind?

January the seventh began as a depressing day, with the thought that in under twenty-four hours I would be returning to school. All of a sudden I had a great idea; how about I go and see the film "Quartet" ? As quick as a flash I made my way to the cinema and bought my ticket. As I walked into the cinema screen, I looked around and saw that I was surrounded by the elderly. "Quartet" obviously was aimed at OAP's . I began contemplating if I would like the film or not, but I was strong and stayed in my seat. For that reason I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

"Quartet" begins with a wonderful opening scene including the whole cast singing thier heart out to Verdi's "La Triviata". Dustin Hoffman uses a Talented cast to his advantage and Maggie Smith acts wonderfully as a former diva who has lost the will to sing. Tom Courtenay also acts well as a bachelor with the intent to share opera with the world; but Billy Connolly steals the show as Wilfred, a sex-mad lunatic who has his eye on the home`s Nurse.

Verdict

With wonderful old-time favourites sung with joy and laughter, "Quartet" was finnaly Dustin Hoffman's chance to enter the world of Directing. "Quartet" is an uplifting and warm comedy about the joys (and dissapointments) of reaching a grand old age!

Four stars out of five.

Written by Scott Gentry.


No comments:

Post a Comment